City of Frisco
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Unified Communications Specialist
at City of Frisco
Under general supervision of the MIS/Computer Manager, is responsible for providing planning, design, implementation and support for the City's IP Telephony system including telecommunications related applications, the City's Skype for Business environment and mobile devices. Provides telephone help desk and/or direct assistance and training to assist users in the most effective use of the City's unified communications systems.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides management for the City's IP telephony infrastructure which includes capacity planning, system changes, backup of systems, application administration, training and end user support.
- Sets up, configures, maintains, upgrades VMWare server environment for IP telephony environment.
- Sets up, installs, upgrades, maintains, troubleshoots and modifies computer hardware and software for Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) and Cisco VOIP to include servers, switches, routers, hubs and telephones.
- Sets up, configures, maintains, upgrades Skype for Business infrastructure and clients; desktop and mobile clients.
- Sets up, configures, maintains Mobile Device Management environment.
- Provides support to end users on a variety of issues from PC desktop or laptop or mobile device software installation, software customizations, software and hardware failure analysis, printer support, PC peripheral support, and LAN/WAN connectivity related to IP telephony and wireless connectivity, mobile device wireless connectivity either wireless or cellular.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots PC computer systems issues related to IP telephony, hardware computer peripheral failures, and mobile devices.
- Upgrades PC and mobile device software as required. Installs and configures workstations and operating systems as well as mobile device systems.
- Manages desktop PC, mobile devices and telephone problems to insure timely and complete resolution.Works with end users and end user groups to evaluate and solve technical problems.
- Completes daily automated procedures including systems back up or production runs.
- Conducts research of technical materials, professional journals, publications and vendor materials to maintain and update knowledge of the VOIP technology field, mobile device field.
- Complete assigned or special assignments.
- Reviews and recommend additional modifications, upgrades or new software and hardware to meet the needs and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the City's VOIP Infrastructure, mobile devices, and mobile device management infrastructure.
Other Important Duties:
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of hardware, software and peripheral equipment maintenance, repair, setup, modification and troubleshooting methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of customer service and training methods and practices.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Cisco IPCC and Cisco Voice Gateways.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Mobile Device Management software.
- Knowledge of IOS and Android operating systems.
- Knowledge of PC administration concepts and practices. Must be familiar with LAN/WAN /VOIP administration concepts and practices.MS Windows OS, MS Office environment, Active Directory.
- Proficiency with VMWare server Infrastructure.
- Proficiency in the setup and installation of current Windows Desktop OS.
- Proficiency with Cisco switches, routers and firewalls.
- Proficiency in the setup and installation of Microsoft Office applications both desktop and mobile device versions.
- Proficiency in the setup and administration of current Windows Server OS and MS Exchange.
- Proficiency in setup and administration of Cisco VOIP systems including voice gateways, IPCC, Unified Communications Manager, Unity, PIX and ASA firewalls and other Cisco equipment.
- Skill in implementing departmental procedures and objectives.
- Skill in effectively transporting, setting up, installing, modifying, upgrading and operating multiple networking systems and software programs.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Associate's Degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field, and three years of LAN, WAN, VOIP or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years' experience with design and implementation of QOS for LAN/WAN, Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unityand Microsoft Exchange Email Servers
- MCSE or MCSA Preferred
- CCNA Preferred.
- VMWare certification Preferred.
- May be required to obtain applicable Microsoft Certifications.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check, MVR check and post-offer physical agility exam.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Driver's License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in office and on-site environments.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions when loading, unloading, transporting or installing automated Management Information Systems and personal computer stations.
- May be subject to electrical currents and electrical shock.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
This work typically requires the following physical activities to be performed. A complete description of the activities below is available upon request from Human Resources.
(Required to perform essential job functions)
Balancing - maintain equilibrium to prevent falling while walking, standing, or crouching.
Reaching - extending hands or arms in any direction.
Crawling - moving about on hands, knees, or hands, feet.
Repetitive Motion - substantial movements of wrists, hands, fingers.
Crouching - bending body forward by bending leg, spine.
Speaking - expressing ideas with spoken word, convey detailed, important instructions accurately, concisely.
Fingering - picking, pinching, typing, working with fingers rather than hand.
Grasping - applying pressure to object with fingers, palm.
Talking 1- expressing ideas by spoken.
Handling - picking, holding, or working with whole hand.
Hearing 1 - perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, receive information.
Visual Acuity 1 - prepare, analyze data, transcribing, computer terminal, extensive reading.
Visual Acuity 2 - color, depth perception, field of vision.
Kneeling - bending legs at knee to come to rest at knees.
Visual Acuity 3 - determine accuracy, neatness, observe facilities/structures.
Lifting - raising objects from lower to higher position, moving objects side to side, using upper extremities, back.
Mental Acuity - ability to make rational decisions through sound logic, deductive reasoning.
Work performed is primarily:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally,
and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, hand tools, computer peripherals and department vehicles.