Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
TMD - Groundskeeper IV
at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE FILED ONLINE THROUGHCAPPS RECRUIT AT:
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH WORK IN TEXAS:
Applicants may submitapplications through Work In Texas (WIT), however applicants must complete thesupplemental questions in CAPPS Recruit to be considered for the position. Inorder to complete the supplemental questions, please register and/or login toCAPPS Recruit and access your profile. Go to CAPPS Recruit to Sign In (Link: https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en)
Your job application must becomplete and thorough including responding to all the supplemental questions.Your application must contain complete job histories, which includes jobtitles, dates of employment, name of employer and a description of dutiesperformed. If this information is not submitted, your application may berejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of thisrequired information.
Who We Are: The TexasMilitary Department (TMD) is commanded by The Adjutant General of Texas,the state's senior military official appointed by the governor, and iscomprised of the Texas Military Department (State & Federal CivilianEmployees), the Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG),the TexasAir National Guard (TXANG) and the Texas StateGuard (TXSG).
Our Vision: America's premier state militaryorganization comprised of professional mission-ready forces, fully engaged withour communities, and relevant through the 21st century.
Our Mission: Provide the Governor and the Presidentwith ready forces in support of state and federal authorities at home andabroad.
Performs highlycomplex (senior-level) grounds and building maintenance work. Work involves caringfor and maintaining of the appearance of grounds and gardens and themaintenance of and repair of grounds keeping tools, supplies, and equipment.This position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor and works under limitedsupervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independentjudgment.
Work hours are 40-hour week, Tuesday – Friday.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONSAND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees and performs grounds keeping work, such as mowing and trimming grass and trimming, fertilizing, watering, removing and planting trees and shrubs.
- Oversees and/or performs the removal of dirt, rubbish, and refuse from grounds.
- Oversees and/or performs repair and preventive maintenance work on parking lots, roads, and sidewalks.
- Oversees and/or performs the mixing, spraying, or spreading of fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Oversees and/or performs the upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, planters, or other grounds features.
- Operates powered equipment such as mowers, tractors, chain-saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning shears.
- Services, repairs, and conducts preventive maintenance on groundskeeping equipment.
- Drives specialized vehicle to sweep and maintain aircraft parking/taxiing area.
- Drives trucks and hauls materials, supplies, dirt, and office furniture.
- May assist in installing or repairing sprinkler systems.
- Calculates material and labor costs and orders parts and supplies.
- Maintains records on work orders or projects in online database.
- May train others.
- Attends work regularly and observes approved work hours in accordance with agency state employee policies & procedures handbook.
- May occasionally work evenings, weekends or holidays.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent is required.
- Three years' experience in grounds keeping work is required.
- Valid driver's license is required. *The ability to obtain a Texas Driver's License will be required within first 30 days of employment. A clean driving record is required for driving state or federal vehicles to conduct agency business.
- Must be able to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC). Selected candidate must pass a federal security background investigation. The process includes a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI) and fingerprinting. New employees must complete and sign the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Form SF86.
- Must obtain a Secret level security clearance within one year of hire, and maintain clearance for duration of employment in this position.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Texas Military Department participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization; For more information, see: E-Verify Poster.
- Upon hire with the State of Texas, males between the ages of 18 through 25 must provide proof of registration or exemption with the Selective Service. For further information, visit the Selective Service website at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx.
- planting and caring of trees, shrubbery, flowers and grass;
- fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides and fungicides; and
- hand and power tools and equipment.
- verbally expressing information in a clear and concise manner;
- using grounds keeping hand tools and equipment;
- operating motorized and gas-operated equipment; and
- maintaining and repairing sidewalks and parking lots.
- maintain and care for hand and power tools and equipment; and
- detect diseases in plants and grasses.
Work istypically performed in an outdoor range setting, involving standing, walking,and working with hand and power tools for extended periods of time. May berequired to work and exposed to inclement weather. May lift, carry, move,and/or set up equipment and materials that weigh up to 40 pounds. Work requiresperiodic travel for training to locations both in and out of state. Duty hoursare primarily Tuesday – Friday, 0630 – 1715 hours, but may require extendedduty days if workload requires.
If you qualify for a Veteran Employment Preference, it is mandatory that youprovide the required documentation at the time of applying. Documentationmust be provided before a Veteran Employment Preference can be granted.
Surviving Spouse of a Veteran who has not remarried - MarriageCertificate and DD Form 1300 or;
Orphan of a Veteran who was killed during active duty – BirthCertificate and DD Form 1300
Use your military skills to qualify for this position or otherjobs. Go to www.texasskillstowork.com to translate your military workexperience and training courses into civilian job terms, qualifications, andskill sets.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional dutiesthat fall in the following fields or other related fields pertaining to theminimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for thisposition and are highly encouraged to apply:
ContactTMD's Veteran's Liaison, Carlos Cardozo if you have questions at(512)782-6822 or HR@military.texas.gov
State of Texas Benefitsand Retirement Information: https://www.ers.texas.gov/
The TexasMilitary Department does not discriminate of the basis of race, color, nationalorigin, sex, religion, age, genetic information, or status as an individualwith a disability or protected veteran status in employment or in the provisionof services.